The following are links to GOOGLE maps of locations visited by DNCB. Also, at the end of the page are detailed DIRECTIONS for a few out-of-town excursions (e.g. in Washington, USA).
Many of the links have been provided by Glen Bodie.
Please contact Ken Borrie firstname.lastname@example.org if you have links to other maps not already here
(or perhaps an improved map)
– note that we prefer maps to the exact DNCB Meeting place, rather than just a general map of the area
|Petra’s Arts Kafé, Tsawwassen
||DNCB meet here to carpool, leave at 7:30 am (summer)|
|Benediction Lutheran Church
5575 6th Ave (at 56th St) Tsawwassen
|DNS monthly meetings (1st Tuesday of each month, 7:30 pm – 9:45 pm)|
|Cammidge House||meet here for BOTB outings (March, June, September, December)|
|Alaksen National Wildlife Area
see also Reifel Bird Sanctuary
|Westham Island; opens 8 am|
|Ambleside Park, West Vancouver|
|Barnston Island, Surrey||end of 104 Ave, 60 min from Petra’s, 5 min ferry (free)|
|Blackie Spit, Surrey|
|Blaine Marine Park, WA
& Semiahmoo Spit
|meet Peace Arch Parking lot (off Beach Rd, behind Duty Free) 8:00; carpool across border to Blaine Marine Park 8:15; after Blaine Harbor, drive around harbor to Semiahmoo Spit|
|Blakeburn Lagoons, Port Coquitlam||2900 Elbow Place, Port Coquitlam
|Boundary Bay Regional Park
– 104 Street Dike, park at Delta Heritage Airpark
|Brooksdale Environmental Centre (A Rocha)||1620 – 192nd Street
33 min from Petra’s
7 min from SFGC
|Brydon Lagoon, Langley
High Knoll Park
|parking on 53 Ave., at bottom of 198A St.|
|Brunswick Point, Ladner
||park at far west end of River Road West|
|Burnaby Lake, Piper Avenue||parking near Nature House, on Piper Ave.|
|Camosun Bog, Vancouver||45 min from Petra’s|
|Campbell Valley RP, Langley (map to 16th Ave parking lot)||30 min from Petra’s|
|Cates Park, nr. Deep Cove, North Vancouver||50 min from Petra’s|
|Cheam Lake, Chilliwack||90 min from Ladner Bus Loop via SFPR/Hwy 1|
|Colony Farms Regional Park, Coquitlam||CF Community Gardens parking lot 40.1 km/35 min|
|Cypress Mountain Park, West Vancouver||Cypress Bowl Olympic parking lot; 1 hour from Petra’s|
|Deer Lake, Burnaby||45 min from Petra’s. Royal Oak parking lot is accessible only heading north off Royal Oak, on right just before Deer Lake Parkway. Approach from Oakland St/Dover St.|
|Derby Reach Regional Park, Surrey||(see instructions/maps BELOW)|
|Harrison Mills||meet at Kilby Park (1 hr 45 min)|
|Iona Beach Regional Park, Richmond||35 min from Petra’s
park by washrooms
|Jericho Beach, Vancouver||60 min from Petra’s; Park on W Second Ave, west of Wallace St (beside the pay parking lot).|
|Ladner Harbour Park|
|Lighthouse Park, West Vancouver|
|Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts, Washington||LMP @ 8:00 am|
|Manning Provincial Park||225 km, 2h 15 min|
|Maplewood Flats, North Vancouver||2645 Dollarton Hwy|
|Mill Lake, Abbotsford see directions below click here|
|Minnekhada Regional Park, Coquitlam||Minnekhada Lodge parking ~ 60 min|
|Mount Baker, Washington||(see detailed instructions below)|
|Queen Elizabeth Park, Vancouver||Park above tennis courts, opposite entrance to Frisbee golf|
|Redwood Park, Surreyto Roadhouse Grille, 1781 King George Blvd||17923-17935 20 Ave, Surrey, 5 min from Semiahmoo FGC.|
|Reifel Bird Sanctuary via Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal & TFN (direct from Petra’s to Reifel)
see also Alaksen National Wildlife Area
|opens 9 am|
|Rocky Point, Port Moody see directions below click here||8:30 am at Murray St. parking lot, near Moody Street|
|Semiahmoo Fish And Game Club
• SFGC to Redwoods Park
• SFGC to Brooksdale, A-Rocha
|1284 184 St, Surrey
29 min from Petra’s
|Serpentine Fen, Surrey||44th Ave parking lot, near Art Knapp’s|
|Skagit Valley||(see instructions below)|
|Stanley Park, Vancouver||Second Beach parking lot 8:30 am|
|Surrey Bend Regional Park
• sometimes combined with Tynehead HatcherySurrey Bend to Tynehead Hatchery
|(40.1 km/35 min) Hwy 17, at 176 St turn LEFT onto 104 Ave, past rail tracks, LEFT into parking (just before Barnston Island ferry terminal)|
|Tennant Lake, WA (from Blaine)||Interpretive Center at the south end of Neilsen Ave in Ferndale|
|Surrey Lake, Surrey|
|Terra Nova Park, Richmond||west end of River Road; 45 min|
|Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal / HeronryTFN “Park & Go” for Victoria Ferry https://goo.gl/ysKEKd|
|Tynehead Regional Park & Hatchery
• from Petra’s (43.5 km/35 min)
• from Surrey Bend RP (7.5 km/7 min)
|96 Avenue (entrance just west of 168 Street)|
|UBC Botanical Garden||45 min from Petra’s (8:15 am)|
|Van Dusen Gardens, Vancouver|
|Whidbey Island, Washington see instructions below|
|Whytecliff Park, West Vancouver|
|Yew Lake & Bowen Lookout, Cypress Mountain|
DNCB Outing No. 2019-16 to WHIDBEY ISLAND, Washington
Wed April 24, 2019
• Leave Petra’s at 7am.
• Leave Peace Arch parking lot at 7:30am. (The parking lot is on the Canadian side of border – just before the duty free, turn right onto Beach Road – exit 1 – then turn left into the Peace Arch Park parking lot).
• Bring a picnic lunch. No fruit, vegetables or meat. Or buy something for lunch after crossing the border (e.g. Haggen or Safeway in Oak Harbor).
Our first stop will be the Port Townsend – Keystone ferry terminal at Coupeville which is one hour and 46 minutes from Blaine.
• Follow I-5 to Hwy 20 West (exit 230).
• Follow Hwy 20 past Anacortes to the Keystone Ferry Terminal (for Port Townsend ferry)
• On Highway 20, before Anacortes, there is a roundabout. Follow the signs for Oak Harbour and Port Townsend Ferry (DO NOT go to Anacortes).
• Later when you are approaching Coupeville, you can either follow the signs to Port Townsend Ferry by staying on Highway 20, or take the shorter route by turning right onto Main St which becomes S Engle Rd and also goes to the ferry. There is lots of free parking around the ferry.
Here is a google map (Blaine to Keystone Ferry)
We will take the 10:15 ferry to Port Townsend as foot passengers. 35 minutes each way. Often see guillemots, murres, auklets and loons from the ferry. We will take the same ferry back at 11.
• Buy 2 single tickets. Fare each way is $1.65 for seniors and $3.35 for adults.
To pay with a Canadian credit card, when it asks for your zipcode, enter zero, zero and the 3 numbers from your Canadian postal code.
• After returning on the ferry, we will bird Keystone Spit, Crockett Lake and the trail to Fort Casey.
• Then visit Deception Pass State Park (Cranberry Lake & West Beach & Rosario Beach). For state parks, each car will need to buy a Discover Pass ($10 day pass or a $30 annual pass).
Here is a google map (Keystone to Deception Pass)
Wednesday May 9, 2018
DNCB Outing No. 2018-19 to TENNANT LAKE
Leave Petra’s at 7:30.
Leave Blaine Peace Arch Parking Lot at 8am. (The parking lot is on the Canadian side of border – just before the duty free, turn right onto Beach Road – exit 1 – then turn left into the Peace Arch Park parking lot).
Drive to Tennant Lake Fragrance Garden (5200 Nielsen Rd in Ferndale) – 20 minutes from Blaine – take I-5 to exit 262 – right on Main St/Axton Rd – left on Hovander Rd – right on Nielsen Rd.
Some may have lunch in Ferndale at Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant 5694 3rd Ave (right off Main Street)
Wednesday August 29, 2018
DNCB Outing No. 2018-35 to SIDNEY SPIT
Please let Terry know if you are considering joining this Outing
It should be good for shorebirds.
It needs to be at low tide for walking on the spit.
Take a picnic lunch and water.
It would mean taking the 7am ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, then bus 70 to Sidney, then walking 7 minutes to Beacon Pier for the 10 am ferry to Sidney Spit.
– return cost is $19 adults $16 seniors
– max. 41 passengers, and only takes reservations for groups of 20 or more.
– you need to queue early for the return ferry.
We would plan for the 3pm ferry back to Sidney for the bus & 5pm ferry back to Tsawwassen.
– if we take the 4:30pm ferry back to Sidney, we would take the 6pm ferry back to Tsawwassen
To avoid the early start, some people may want to stay in Sidney the night before. Sidney has several hotels and interesting shops and restaurantsAttached are copies from the book Hiking Trails 1
Wednesday July 11, 2018
DNCB Outing No. 2018-28 to SALT SPRING ISLAND
We will meet on the ferry unless you make other arrangements. We will catch the 7:00 am ferry from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay, getting a through ticket to the Fulford Harbour terminal on Saltspring (9:00 am ferry connecting to the 9:43 bus to Ganges)
How to get to Tsawwassen Ferry: From the Ladner Exchange, with free parking, the number 620 bus leaves at 6:19 am for the ferry terminal. The best parking is at the TFN lot at the beginning of the ferry jetty, which has a free shuttle to the terminal entrance – much more convenient, and cheaper, than the terminal parking. We can meet on the ferry… great to have breakfast looking while enjoying the window view.
Return trip: we will catch the 2:40 bus from Ganges to Long Harbour connecting with the 3:45 ferry to Tsawwassen, with one stop at Galiano Island, arriving at 5:34.
Another option for returning would be to catch the 3:05 bus to Fulford Harbour to catch the 3:50 ferry to Swartz Bay connecting with the 5:00 ferry to Tsawwassen (buffet anyone) arriving at 6:35.
DNCB Outing #2015-34: Gulf Island Ferry Tour, Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Meet on the 9am Victoria ferry.
Participants may want to discuss with nearby friends about car-pooling to the Ferry Terminal and parking there, or at the First Nations “Park & Go” lot which is cheaper ($11). Or park for free at the Ladner bus exchange and take the BC transit bus to the terminal.
- Tsawwassen to Victoria (Swartz Bay): Departs at 9:00 am, arrives at Swartz Bay at 10:35 am
• ask for a through fare ticket to Fulford Harbour
• BC seniors are half price.
- Saltspring (Fulford Harbour) ferry leaves Swartz Bay at 11:00 am and arrives at 11:35
- The ferry is met by the shuttle bus to Ganges: Cost $2:75
• ask for a transfer to use on the afternoon bus trip
- Bus arrives at Ganges at noon.
We will have 3 hours there to have lunch and/or explore the town.
- Bus leaves Ganges at 3:00 pm, arrives at Long Harbour at 3:10 pm
- Tsawwassen ferry leaves at 3:25 pm, stops at Pender, Mayne & Galiano
- arrives in Tsawwassen at 6:45 pm
DNCB Outing #2015-31 to Rocky Point, Port Moody
Wed. Aug. 12, 2015 Leave Petra’s at 7:30 am, arrive Murray Street parking around 8:30 am
From Petra’s Kafe via Hwy 17, Patullo Bridge & North Rd.:
41.9 km/53 min (44 min without traffic)
map at https://goo.gl/4hteU9
Port Moody Directions to Rocky Point:
Heading along St. John’s St…
1. turn NORTH at Moody St. (toward the water)
2. Go over the rail tracks and follow Moody Street LEFT, around the bend (do not exit to the Boathouse Restaurant)
3. turn LEFT at Murray Street and continue a short distance until you see a parking lot on the LEFT – there is Rocky Point ice cream place and reddish-coloured building (Port Moody Station Museum) to the West.
There is quite a bit of parking there, and we are early enough that it shouldn’t be a problem. The Boathouse parking is for patrons only, but they might allow general parking early in the day.
DNCB Outing #2015-30 to Mill Lake, Abbotsford
Wed. Aug. 5, 2015 Leave Petra’s at 7:30 am, arrive Mill Lake parking around 8:30 am
Click here for map
Follow Hwy 1 to Abbotsford area.
1. Take Exit 87 to Clearbrook N., cross over Hwy 1, and first road on the right is Marshall Rd. Diversion – take that to the right, and it becomes Marshall Rd. at the bottom of the curve (left).
2. Follow Marshall Rd to Emerson St. and turn LEFT.
3. turn RIGHT on Bevan Ave. Bevan is along the park border.
4. Pass Alta Ave., LEFT on Primrose St.: there is a sign for park entry and parking, which is a large lot on the left – enter and find parking.
There is a washroom there. We will wait until most are present, and follow the path (very short walk down a small road which passes in front of the washrooms, to pick up the path close to the water) to the left, clockwise for late-comers. Tom figures around 8:30 to 8:45. Please take his cell # 778-994-4726 so you can call if you can’t find the group.
Derby Reach Instructions
7:30 am – Leave Petra’s Café, Tsawwasen
8:30 am meet Al & non-Tsawwassen birders at Edgewater Bar/Derby Reach Campground Parking Lot (off Allard Crescent)
– shuttle cars will take people to Heritage Area parking lot for start of Houston Trail loop (4 km long, plus access trail 500m)
DNCB Outing to Mount Baker – instructions
Meet at, and leave from, the Peace Arch Park parking lot (behind the Duty Free Shop) at 7:30 a.m. To access the parking lot, turn right onto Beach Rd (immediately BEFORE the Duty Free entrance on the Canadian side of the border.)
Bring PASSPORT and a picnic lunch – but no fruit, vegetables or meat.
Some will meet and leave from Petra’s at 7:00 a.m. and stop at the Peace Arch parking lot to car pool at 7:30 a.m. We expect to be home around 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
We should leave Petra’s at 7 am to be at Peace Arch border crossing by 7:30 am.
• take I-5 to Bellingham
• take exit 255 for Mt Baker (Hwy 542 east)
• follow Hwy 542 to Glacier Public Service Center – Mt Baker Ranger District, 10091 Mt Baker Hwy, Glacier, WA
This is just past the town of Glacier on the right hand side of the road.
We should meet there about 9 am.
Each car will need to buy a $5 recreation parking pass there.
There are good washrooms there. After that there will be outhouses.
We will drive from there to Picture Lake, Austin Pass and Artist Ridge for short walks.
There is no snow on those trails now.
We should only go if the weather forecast is good, or it will be foggy there.
We usually get home around 6 pm – see Reports of previous Mt. Baker Outings including DNCB Outing 2014-35 & DNCB Outing 2012-39
Oct. 9 – Skagit Valley Provincial Park w. Langley Nats
Leaders: Al & Jude Grass (Langley Field Naturalists)
Meeting Time: 8:45 am @ Hope Flood Rd.
Come and join Al and Jude for a Fall trip into the Skagit for mushrooms, mammals and birds – and beautiful fall colors. This is a full day trip, so please bring lunch, snacks, water, (sunscreen and bug repellent) and a variety of clothing and footwear for the weather. Meet at the junction of the Hope Flood Road & Silver Skagit Road at 8:45am. The Hope Flood Road exit is #168 from Highway #1 heading east. Note: please make sure you have enough gas as it is 130 km round trip to Ross Lake and back to the highway on GRAVEL roads. For info contact 604 538 8774.
DNCB – meet at the Ladner Exchange at 6:45 a.m. on Oct. 7
Monday, October 21 Roger and I will be at Petra’s for departure at 7:30 a.m. to Queen Elizabeth Park, then Van Dusen Gardens. For those joining us in Vancouver, we plan to meet at meet at the QEP parking lot above the tennis courts and near the entrance to the small golf course. We should be there before 8:30 a.m. We’ll leave QEP around 9:30-9:45 a.m. for Van Dusen entrance at 10:00 a.m.; Entrance Fee $7:75 adult, $5.75 senior.