- This 2018 DNCB Outings list is PRELIMINARY – please check back for changes!
- Meeting times & places are posted on the DNCB Home Page
- you can also download this provisional chart: 2018_dncb_outings updated Aug. 6, 2018 – but this may be out of date, and we will FIRST update our destinations on this website page!
- if a DNCB Outing destination is blue (e.g. Iona Regional Park), it links directly to the Report of that Outing.
- if the Outing Number is blue (e.g. 2018-04) it links to the photos at DNCB Flickr for that particular Outing.
Return to DNCB Outings by Year
Tu Jan 2 2018-01 Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal & Reifel Bird Sanctuary Tu Jan 9 2018-02 White Rock Pier & Blackie Spit Tu Jan 16 2018-03 Serpentine Fen/104th Dyke Tu Jan 23 2018-04 Iona Regional Park Tu Jan 30 2018-05 Point Roberts, USA Tu Feb 6 2018-06 Iona Regional Park Tu Feb 13 2018-07 Drayton Harbor/Semiahmoo Spit Tu Feb 20 2018-08 Victoria Tu Feb 27 2018-09 Reifel Bird Sanctuary, via Ferry terminal & TFN Tu Mar 6 2018-10 Steveston Area WED Mar 14 2018-11 Birds on the Bay in Boundary Bay Regional Park Tu Mar 20 2018-12 Stanley Park Tu Mar 27 2018-13 Point Roberts, USA W Apr 4 2018-14 UBC Botanical Garden & Pacific Spirit Park W Apr 11 2018-15 Brydon Lagoon and Hi-Knoll Park W Apr 18 2018-16 Queen Elizabeth Gardens W Apr 25 2018-17 Ladner Parks W May 2 2018-18 Whidbey Island, USA W May 9 2018-19 Tennant Lake Park and Whatcom Museum, Bellingham, USA W May 16 2018-20 Pt. Roberts, USA W May 23 2018-21 Minnekhada Regional Park W May 30 2018-22 Semiahmoo Fish & Game/Little Campbell Hatchery W June 6 2018-23 Colony Farm W June 13 2018-24 Birds on the Bay in Boundary Bay Regional Park W June 20 2018-25 Pitt Lake W June 27 2018-26 Campbell Valley Park W July 4 2018-27 Surrey Bend Regional Park W July 11 2018-28 Ferry Outing to Salt Spring Island W July 18 2018-29 Reifel Bird Sanctuary
W July 25 2018-30 Iona Regional Park W Aug 1 2018-31 Blackie Spit Park W Aug 8 2018-32 Burnaby Lake W Aug 15 2018-33 Boundary Bay at 104th St W Aug 22 2018-34 Maplewood Flats W Aug 29 2018-35 Sidney Spit (meet on 7am ferry to Victoria)
– see below for more information
W Sep 5 2018-36 Mt Baker (if poor forecast will switch to Blaine) W Sep 12 2018-37 Birds on the Bay Outing in Boundary Bay Regional Park W Sep 19 2018-38 Iona W Sep 26 2018-39 White Rock & Blackie Spit TUES Oct 2 2018-40 Derby Reach & Brae Island Parks Tu Oct 9 2018-41 Boundary Bay at 104th St Tu Oct 16 2018-42 Jericho Tu Oct 23 2018-43 VanDusen Gardens Tu Oct 30 2018-44 local Tu Nov 6 2018-45 Tu Nov 13 2018-46 Tu Nov 20 2018-47 Tu Nov 27 2018-48 Tu Dec 4 2018-49 WED Dec 12 2018-50 Birds on the Bay Outing in Boundary Bay Regional Park Tu Dec 18 2018-51 Tu Dec 25 2018-52
Wednesday August 29, 2018
DNCB Outing No. 2018-35 to SIDNEY SPIT
Please let Terry know if you are considering joining this Outing
It should be good for shorebirds.
It needs to be at low tide for walking on the spit.
Take a picnic lunch and water.
It would mean taking the 7am ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay, then bus 70 to Sidney, then walking 7 minutes to Beacon Pier for the 10 am ferry to Sidney Spit.
– return cost is $19 adults $16 seniors
– max. 41 passengers, and only takes reservations for groups of 20 or more.
– you need to queue early for the return ferry.
We would plan for the 3pm ferry back to Sidney for the bus & 5pm ferry back to Tsawwassen.
– if we take the 4:30pm ferry back to Sidney, we would take the 6pm ferry back to Tsawwassen
To avoid the early start, some people may want to stay in Sidney the night before. Sidney has several hotels and interesting shops and restaurants.
Attached are copies from the book Hiking Trails 1
Wednesday July 11, 2018
DNCB Outing No. 2018-28 to SALT SPRING ISLAND
We will meet on the ferry unless you make other arrangements. We will catch the 7:00 am ferry from Tsawassen to Swartz Bay, getting a through ticket to the Fulford Harbour terminal on Saltspring (9:00 am ferry connecting to the 9:43 bus to Ganges).
How to get to Tsawwassen Ferry: From the Ladner Exchange, with free parking, the number 620 bus leaves at 6:19 am for the ferry terminal. The best parking is at the TFN lot at the beginning of the ferry jetty, which has a free shuttle to the terminal entrance – much more convenient, and cheaper, than the terminal parking. We can meet on the ferry… great to have breakfast looking while enjoying the window view!
Return trip: we will catch the 2:40 bus from Ganges to Long Harbour connecting with the 3:45 ferry to Tsawwassen, with one stop at Galiano Island, arriving at 5:34.
Another option for returning would be to catch the 3:05 bus to Fulford Harbour to catch the 3:50 ferry to Swartz Bay connecting with the 5:00 ferry to Tsawwassen (buffet anyone) arriving at 6:35.
• Leave Petra’s at 7am.
• Leave Peace Arch parking lot at 7:30am. (The parking lot is on Canadian side of border – just before the duty free turn right onto Beach Road – exit 1 – then left into the Peace Arch Park parking lot).
• Bring a picnic lunch. No fruit, vegetables or meat. Or buy something for lunch after crossing the border (e.g. Safeway in Oak Harbor).
Our first stop will be the Port Townsend – Keystone ferry terminal at Coupeville which is one hour and 46 minutes from Blaine.
• Follow I-5 to Hwy 20 West (exit 230).
• Follow Hwy 20 past Anacortes to the Keystone Ferry Terminal (for Port Townsend ferry).
• On Highway 20, when approaching Anacortes, watch for the left turn to stay on Highway 20.
It says Turn left for Oak Harbour and Port Townsend Ferry.
THE MAIN ROAD GOES INTO ANACORTES, SO IT IS EASY TO MISS THAT LEFT TURN.
• Later, when you are approaching Coupeville, you can either follow the signs to Port Townsend Ferry by staying on Highway 20, or take the shorter route by turning right onto Main St which becomes S Engle Rd and also goes to the ferry. There is lots of free parking around the ferry.
Here is a Google map
• We will take the 10:15 ferry to Port Townsend as foot passengers. 35 minutes each way. Often see Guillemots, Murres, Auklets and loons from the ferry. We will take the same ferry back at 11.
Buy 2 single tickets. Fare each way is $1.65 for seniors and $3.35 for adults.
• After returning on the ferry, we will bird Keystone Spit, Crockett Lake and the trail to Fort Casey.
Then visit Fort Casey State Park and Deception Pass State Park (Cranberry Lake & West Beach). For state parks each car will need to buy a Discover Pass ($10 day pass or a $30 annual pass).
Here is a Google map
Leave Petra’s at 7:30
Meet at Blaine Marina about 8:15 (on left side of Marine Drive – by the washrooms and the last walkway down to the boats). We can look for grebes in breeding plumage.
Drive to Tennant Lake Fragrance Garden (5200 Nielsen Rd in Ferndale) – 20 minutes from Blaine – take I-5 to exit 262 – right on Main St/Axton Rd – left on Hovander Rd – right on Nielsen Rd.
Some may have lunch in Ferndale at Chihuahua Mexican Restaurant 5694 3rd Ave (right off Main St).
Some may want to go to the Hall of Birds exhibit at Whatcom Museum in Bellingham (121 Prospect St) – 20 minutes from Ferndale – museum hours 12-5 – adults $10 – seniors $8.
Here are Google maps: